Thursday 9 August 2012

My Top Ten Olympic Sport Songs

I've already covered running, jumping, gymnastics, swimming and cycling... here are a few songs about the remaining Olympic sports.

10. The Magic Theatre - Rowing Boat Love Song

If you were wondering whatever happened to Dan Popplewell and Sophia Churney of Ooberman, here's your answer... and it's quite, quite lovely.

9. MC Hammer - Can't Touch This

Stop.

Hammer time!

8. Slow Club - Horses Jumping

A song that covers a number of sporting disciplines, including swimming, sprint, pool and horses jumping... out of a boat. Don't ask me.

7. Heartless Bastards - Marathon

We're all racing for our own reasons

6. Beach Boys - Sail On, Sailor

If you were expecting Rod Stewart... isn't this so much better?

5. Operator Please - (Just A Song About) Ping Pong

Don't you know beef jerky has an aftertaste?

4. Prefab Sprout - I Never Play Basketball Now

After that last unholy row
I never, ever play basketball now.
It joins the list of things I'll miss
Like fencing foils and lovely girls I'll never kiss.

3. Julian Cope - Trampolene

No gold medal for Julian's spelling.

2. Trashcan Sinatras - Weightlifting

Pumping iron never sounded so beautiful.

1. Ben Folds Five - Boxing

Boxing's been good to him...



So... which one's your Olympian?


14 comments:

  1. You're 8 posts too late for that suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Predictably, I suppose, I'd have "Boxers" by Stephen Patrick... http://youtu.be/Ply-5zCjFc4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously I considered this, but decided to save it for an inevitable Top Ten Boxing Songs... one day. Not as part of the Olympics though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about: The Ship Song by Nick Cave ('Come sail your ships around me...'), Sail Away by Nick Cave, Four Horsemen by The Clash, Boxerbeat by JoBoxers, Sure Shot by The Beastie Boys, Desolation Row by Bob Dylan, or perhaps something by Neal Young and Crazy Horse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Point for Desolation Row, even though it's massively off topic.

    Point deducted for JoBoxers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn it. I should stick to suggesting songs I really like (i.e. everything but Boxerbeat), which is probably the point of this exercise anyway. Mind you, after you suggested Katie Melua yesterday, I have no idea what it's okay to suggest at all any more. One day, I will end up in points credit! I probably owe you several points at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm allowed to go DARK (like Jack Bauer) and suggest stuff like Katie Melua 'cos it's my blog. Just as it's my right to make up the points system as I go along. I should include more Nick Cave though, you're right about that. And in a toss up between Anita Ward and JoBoxers, there's not a lot in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you don't have to be cool but we do? What chance have I got? I'm a 43 year old fat man who reads comics. I've NEVER been cool! I'd start my own top 10 blog but I'd probably be laughed off the internet within a week.

    P.S. I'm gonna finish inking DOTP #1 today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I don't make the rules - I only think them up and write them down.

    P.S. - Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm, as it is meant to be all about taking part and not winning I will suggest All Star by Smash Mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great song, Sag - I reckon that'll crop up on one of these lists one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So you want to be a boxer - bugsy Malone. You see Rol, I don't ever pretend to be cool on any level and I like bugsy Malone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll save it for the inevitable Boxing Top Ten... one day. What's "cool"?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...