Monday 15 April 2013

My Top Ten Loser Songs


 The Top Ten in which Every Loser Wins...

(Check out #3 if you don't believe me.)


10. Rod Stewart - Three Time Loser

The scary story of Rod's sex life before he became famous...

9. Fatima Mansions - Only Losers Take the Bus
I'm no loser, I'm a letch!
8. George Jones - The World's Worst Loser

Whenever you think your life's shitty... put on some George Jones.

7. Suede - Beautiful Loser

Suede have a new album out... and it's much better than the one this comes from. Still, some great putdowns here...
You belong among the wild flowers
picked at the side of the road,
You belong among the silent hours
and broken telephones,
You belong among the TV screens
with sound turned down again,
You belong where there's CCTV
watching you every day,
See also Beautiful Losers by Ocean Colour Scene. Also pretty damned good.

6. Dick Curless - Loser's Cocktail

...direct from the bartender at the Loser's Lounge. My guess is Hoyt Axton wouldn't be allowed in that bar, since Boozers Are Losers (When Benders Don't End).

5. The Dears - You and I Are a Gang of Losers
You and I are on the outside
Of all of almost everything
Don't we all feel like that sometimes?

4. Son of Dork - Ticket Outta Loserville

What do you get when you cross Busted! with Blink 182?
Pinch me, is this real?
I'm on a one way ticket out of Loserville
Now I'm off the social flat line
Things are so good that I'm
Taking down my Star Trek shrine
Much better than you'd expect.

3. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Even The Losers
Baby even the losers
Get lucky sometimes...
A sentiment shared by Nick 'Wicksy' Berry on his seminal 80s Number One... but honestly, what do you take me for? There's no place for that here. I have to draw the line somewhere.

2. Half Man Half Biscuit - Bad Losers on Yahoo Chess

And I'll keep finding a way to shoehorn this into Top Tens until you've all bought a copy.
Ernie Shackleton retreated
Close to the Pole
He didn’t want men dying
To achieve his goal
But did he get a gob on?
No he gave a little grin
Heed this Dennis Bell
When you next sign in
Bad Losers On Yahoo Chess!
1. Beck - Loser

In the time of chimpanzees, Beck was a monkey. If you don't like it... why don't you kill him?




Those were my losers... which is your winner?

12 comments:

  1. Bob Seger - Beautiful Loser?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So not 'every loser wins' then?! To be honest I remember it as being so bad that I can't bring myself to even go look up who sang it....oh great te ear worm brought back the name too: Nick Berry. Saints preserve us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm... you didn't need to look it up. You could have just read my post.

      (Sometimes I wonder why I bother. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Have to admit I always 'read' your posts even when I read nothing else you are in my must read list but sometimes even you get quick skim and I register the songs only or when i do have the time one song shoots me off on a YouTube safari and I never quite come back to concentration.

      I will try harder sorry.

      Delete
    3. Hey, I'm just grateful anybody bothers to click towards this page at all - even if they're only here to check out the Number One, shake their head in disgust, call me a bad word, then move on to the next blog... it still makes my existence a little less lonely. Plus, considering how little time I've had over the last few weeks for checking out everyone else's blogs in return, I've hardly got room to whinge.

      And... you already go above and beyond the call of duty with your regular - and always appreciated - comments.

      Delete
  3. Ps your captcha word autocorrected word get ruder every time. This worries me, I suspect my autocorrect is home trained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pps I just watched Glee 'loser like me' : I need to lie in a dark room for a week until the nausea passes

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your number one and number three choice.

    the big omission for me was "I'm a Loser" by the Beatles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologise in advance (of you reading any more of these lists) for my slight anti-Beatles bias. I overdosed on them as a teen and had too much of a good thing so I can only handle them in small doses these days!

      Delete
    2. apology accepted -doesn't mean I will refrain from throwing up Beatles suggestions where appropriate!! (if I haven't outstayed my welcome on your blog that is, I know I have been a frequent poster in the past few days)

      Delete
    3. No, you're more than welcome here anytime, Deano.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...