Friday 19 July 2013

My Top Ten Greed Songs (Seven Deadly Sins #3)


Back to the 7 deadly sings... with ten songs about greed (as opposed to stuffing your face gluttony).



10. Seth Lakeman - Greed & Gold
Forever the loneliest road.
9. Cracker - I Want Everything

First of a number of songs on this chart by artists who won't be happy till they've got it all. Greedy buggers.

8. Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg - The Power of Gold
Are you under the power of gold? 
The late Dan Fogelberg. Top man.

7. Hefner - The Greedy Ugly People
The Greedy Ugly People are not like us,
They don't feel the love that she and I would die without.
A sweet love story about how the rest of the world are a bunch of greedy, ugly bastards...
Love don't stop no wars, don't stop no cancer,
It stops my heart.
6. The Flying Lizards - Money (That's What I Want)

There are, of course, thousands of pop songs about love of money. They deserve, at least, a Top Ten of their own. There are also about a hundred different versions of this song, originally written and recorded by the mighty Barrett Strong back in 1959. But I love this version more than any other because it's truly unique... and because the video is like 1979 in a bottle.

5. Aztec Camera - All I Need Is Everything

Poor old Roddy, he didn't quite get it all. Although going from the video, he must have been about 12 when he recorded this, so he did pretty well for such a young 'un.

4. Go-Kart Mozart - We're Selfish & Lazy & Greedy

Three sins in one! Go, Lawrence!
People like me, oh we don't give a damn
We like staying bed if we can...
3. Rufus Wainwright - Give Me What I Want and Give It to Me Now!
Give me what I want 
And give it to me now!
Don't be such a greedy sow...
...Rufus threatens, before going on to reveal his own greed...
I'm the one who has
And I will tell you this,
With a biblical kiss,
I will eat you, your folks
And your kids for breakfast!
And then he gets really bitchy:
I'm the one who has
And I will tell you this,
That I would never wish
Death upon you, your cats
And your throw cushions on Christmas!
2. Queen - I Want It All

Thus did Freddie live his life...

1. The Wonder Stuff - Give, Give, Give Me More, More, More

It's about time The Wonder Stuff had a Number One round here, considering how much I loved them. 
Well,  hope I make more money than this in the next world...
Damn right!




I know, you want them all, don't you?

7 comments:

  1. Finally. Killing Joke - Age of Greed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have put that in there, but I'd prefer to give you the satisfaction of adding it in the comments. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Rol, thanks again for another interesting list...
    I can't get Abba out of my head (Gimme, Gimme, Gimme)- although she only wanted one man so she wasn't overly greedy.

    I know you don't like the Beatles, and I agree that the Flying Lizards version is unique, but I really like the Beatles version of Money - John puts in a great vocal performance on that one.

    In terms of other suggestions, the Screaming Jets "F.R.C" came to mind. You can fill in the blanks, but the f = fat and the r = rich. (I think this is the third time I have suggested a song with an explicit title, you must wonder about my music collection). Some 90's rock for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that I don't like the Beatles... it's just that I can only handle them in small doses nowadays. Agreed, their version of Money is cracking - and I love Barrett Strong's version too.

      Don't worry about the explicit language, what true music fan doesn't have plenty of that in their collection? I'll have to check out that Screaming Jets song, I like the sound of it!

      Delete
  3. Ah...I want More, More, More with Andrea True Connection. It may not be great, but it is fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, that reminds me of my days in advertising. I think we had a client who used it as a jingle. Ugh.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...