Wednesday 21 August 2013

My Top Ten Pride Songs (Seven Deadly Sins #7)


I'm proud to say this concludes our jaunt through the deadliest of sins...


10. Bonnie Raitt - Love Has No Pride

If you were looking for that U2 song... here's one reason why you won't find it here. (The other reason: it's by U2.)

Also memorably covered by this bloke...

9. Billy Bragg - Swallow My Pride

From Billy's excellent new album Tooth & Nail... yep, he's still got it.
Oh how can a man be strong?
He can't even lift up telephone and say he's wrong 
If I want you back again
Then I know what I must do
Got to swallow my pride and get back home to you.
8. The Donnas - Have You No Pride?

 The Donnas offer advice to a hopeless romantic.
Shoegazers in blazers
Introduce you to razors, so that
The Wilson twins, they can see you
In all your glory, in all your glory
7. King - Love & Pride

Weren't the 80s brilliant?

If you're in any doubt, check out the video in which Paul King wanders round an old quarry with a can of spray paint wearing a green suit, red boots and a raven on his head before teaching a bunch of kids how to breakdance. It cost 50p to film and they still had change for a bag of chips.

6. James Brown -  Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)

 Could the Godfather of Soul ever say anything quietly?

5. Beautiful South - Mother's Pride
He's presentable, well looked after
He's domestically disastrous
He's adorable - Mother's Pride
Maternal versus paternal influence... and it does seem Paul Heaton thinks you're better off taking after your mum.
He'll always roam the yard looking for a fight
He'll pick on all the kids who're twice his height
He's the reason dinner ladies toss and turn at night
Teacher's Blight - Father's Pride 
See also Mother's Pride by George Michael, which has aged far, far better than you'd imagine it would. 

4. Dexys Midnight Runners - My National Pride

Kevin Rowland reclaims the notion of national pride from the fascists and the politicians in a deeply touching ode from the woefully under-appreciated Don't Stand Me Down album.
I've denied my beautiful heritage
Gone away from my roots and come back home again
I gave away my individuality
And listened to the "now" generation
When really I'm not one of those
But love has brought me closer to the truth and right now
I couldn't be any closer
To love your father is a fulfilling thing
My national pride is a personal pride

3. Robert Palmer - Pride

Batley Bob goes reggae with an amusing tale about a guy who loses his woman to the gym.
You want her attention
Well, you’ll have to wait
She’s in the gymnasium
Reducing weight
In shorts of a leotard
Despite her age
The girl’s gonna exercise
Your life away
2. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary

A song about quitting your job in the city and going off to work on a riverboat... also famously recorded by Ike & Tina Turner and Solomon Burke.

1. The Temptations - Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Genius. 





Which would you be proud to call your Number One?

10 comments:

  1. Ah - Paul King. Any guy who can sport a mullet that extreme and still talk of pride has self esteem to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but back in 1984 it was the height of fashion... I bet even you were suitably mulleted back then, Steve!

      Delete
    2. Sadly, at the time I was still growing out the last vestiges of a bowl haircut.

      Delete
  2. In the name of love, I come with a few more suggestions for you (sorry, I couldn't resist that one - personally I think its a great song, and would even suggest a compromise of Ewan McGregor's version from the movie Moulin Rouge if you couldn't bring yourself to include Paul Hewson's band.)

    Other thoughts, how about:
    Proud and Humble - Imelda May, I know its far from the best track on Mayhem, but its still good and there should always be room for Imelda.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS1Ha3cF0Yk

    Pomps and Pride - Toots and the Maytals - some nice reggae for you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnE9-tRpxI

    and, then, I can't work out if this is a good song or a crap song, but Heather Small - Proud. I think it is a good song, but too much like something that would be used in a government safety announcement commercial...hehehe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OygsHbM1UCw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, yes, I did quite like Ewan McGregor's version.

      Some other good suggestions too, Deano, but let me answer your final question categorically... it's crap. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I like SOME U2 songs... I just can't stand U2. Specifically, Bonio.

      Delete
  4. Funnily enough I watched a King vid (Alone Without You) just last week on You Tube. After the success of Love & Pride they managed to blag a foreign location for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alone Without You is my favourite... nah nah nana nah nana na na naaa na na!

      Delete
  5. Yes, mine too. Always enjoyed Paul King's passing the phone hand gesture to accompany it. I was very easily pleased as a youngster.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...