Monday 2 June 2014

My Top Ten Songs About Moving House


In case you were wondering why there's been a serious Top Ten drought round these parts lately, this post should explain. And yes, I was tempted to give the Number One slot to Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown.

I tried my best to stick to songs that were literally about moving house, so the likes of Curtis Mayfield, Primal Scream, Kate Bush and Supergrass (with songs about moving... or moving up... in a more general sense) will have to wait till another list. Likewise songs about leaving home...

And because I have no time to waffle on, I'll let the music do the talking this time. (Stop cheering, everybody.)


10. The Weakerthans - Sun In An Empty Room
Take eight minutes and divide
By ninety million lonely miles
         And watch the shadow cross the floor
         We don't live here anymore

9. Electric Blanket - We Will Help You Move
We will assist you with your sofa
And chairs!
8. Bob Mould - Moving Trucks
Today I am starting the rest of my life
Today I can touch the sky
And I can leave the beeping sound
Of that truck behind
          No moving trucks to hold me down

7. Drew Blackard - Right About Now I'd Like to Move to Austin and Buy a Purple House
I'd like to move on down to Austin town
Buy a purple house let the weeds grow out
Livin' on my own with my garden gnomes
They'd protect my home with their devil bones
6. Art Brut - Moving To LA
When I get off the plane
The first thing I'm gonna do is
Strip naked to the waist
And ride my Harley Davidson
Up and down Sunset street
I may even get a tattoo
My problems are never gonna find me
I'm not sending one letter
or even a postcard back
I'm drinking Henessey
With Morrissey
On a beach
Out of reach
Somewhere very far away
5. Carol Bayer Sager - You're Moving Out Today
Pack up your dirty looks
Your songs that have no hooks
Your stacks of Modern Screen
Your portrait of the Queen
Your mangy cat away
Your baby fat away
You're headed that-a-way
You're moving out today
4. Lambchop - So I Hear You're Moving
Neighborhood's getting better - I'm moving out!
3. Eels - Packing Blankets
Packing blankets and dirty sheets
A roomful of dust and a broom to sweep up
All the troubles you and I have seen

And all our troubles will be gone
Blowing out over that bridge
Floating up into the sky
Making the storm clouds cry
2. Billy Joel - Movin' Out (Antony's Song)
Working too hard can give you a heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack...
1. The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
Girl, there's a better life for me and you...




Which one makes you want to pick up sticks?

13 comments:

  1. Ah, "You're Moving Out Today". Possibly the only song ever to mention a map of Mozambique. And I always wondered what exactly they did with bread...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hurts my mind to think what they do with bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rather not go-oooooo back to the old house - Lolz ! Bet you don't let that one in. I'll ponder for a bit.

    I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a Kate Bush track that is very relevant: "One Last Look Around The House Before We Go"... B side to the "Love & Anger" single.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm I might suggest living in a box, but then I know I'll get shouted down as always....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingenious... but maybe I'm saving that for the Eponymous Top Ten?

      Delete
  6. Deep Purple you keep on moving - sterling track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if they'd called it 'You Keep On Moving House'... then maybe...

      Delete
  7. Hey Rol, good to see you back, I have missed your lists and have missed your comments over on my blog too.

    In terms of the list, I don't have much to add at all, other than to see I am really glad to see Anthony's song on there in a high spot, that was the first one that came to mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deano - Billy almost made Number 1... but I've already given Movin' Out a high placing in my Top Ten Anthony Songs!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...