Wednesday 1 March 2017

Kenny Wednesday #4: All The Scandal & The Vice



4. Gerard Kenny - New York, New York

Despite the dodgy sweater and the fact that it's his surname, this week's Kenny is so good, I'll name him twice.

4. Gerard Kenny - New York, New York

I didn't know a lot about Gerard Kenny beyond his big 70's "hit" (well, it got to #43); however, he has been on my bucket list for a while. Yes, other middle-aged men have bucket lists that include skydiving into the Grand Canyon and getting stuck in an elevator with Gillian Anderson. My bucket list includes catching up on music by Gerard Kenny, Bert Jansch and The Staple Singers.

As previously established, I love a well-hammered keyboard... and Gerard even throws a broken window and a choral climax into this loving homage to his hometown (written after he'd moved to England). What's not to love?




On further investigation, I was delighted to learn Gerard wasn't a complete one "hit" wonder. He also wrote Barry Manilow's I Made It Through The Rain (as featured recently in My Top Ten Inspirational Songs, Volume 1) and... wait for it, wait for it...

He also wrote this:



Which kind of makes a mockery (if such a thing were possible) of that old Little Britain sketch where David 'Dennis Waterman' Walliams promises to "write the theme tune, sing the theme tune"... what a disappointment.

(Oh, and before you go, do yourself a favour and watch the video to I Could Be So Good For You. It is the best / worst thing you will see all week. It's good to have a nice, healthy cringe on a Wednesday.)

6 comments:

  1. I recalled practically every word of 'New York New York' - how did that happen? No wonder I don't have any room in there to remember important stuff. The Denis Waterman video is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frightening what our mind clings on to. If someone had set Gray's Anatomy to a catchy tune, I would be a doctor by now.

      Delete
  2. Interesting to listen to an alternative New York song. Liza Minnelli's/Frank Sinatra's of the same name I consider classic. Gerard Kenny's is new to me and good too.

    Hope you enjoy the music on your bucket list. I created a never-ending list of my own: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/mas365/discographies-to-explore-in-the-future/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously no one will ever beat Frank's New York.

      Delete
  3. Well, when you started this series I had a fair idea of the Kennys you might feature but each week you surprise me. Like Mr S I can remember most of the lyrics to this one as I can for just about everything that made the Top 50 in the '70s - I too am surprised that some songs only made it to the lower reaches when I know them verbatim.

    A real surprise that he wrote the wonderful Barry Manilow song but like you feel we've been conned as Dennis Waterman was supposed to have written the tune as well as sang it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never be able to look David Walliams in the face again without shouting, "Do Your Research!"

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...