Tuesday 7 November 2017

The Neverending Top Ten #7: Farmyard Cat



We have a new cat. That didn't take long, did it? It's a kitten. More on this later.

However, it seemed an appropriate time to feature this track in The Neverending Top Ten of songs my son has taken to. This was an obvious choice when putting together a compilation for him as Paddy McAloon obviously chose to write a children's song here, and - as with everything else he turns his hand to - he did an excellent job. (The lyric above could have been trite, but it always raises a smile from me.) The fact that he also managed to turn it into a love story is quite inspired!

Farmyard Cat felt rather incongruous on the album The Gunman & Other Stories: the majority of the other songs on that album had a Western feel (more Western than Country, anyway). But I'm sure they had farmyard cats in the old West too.

Sam is particularly taken with the "Mee Mee-oww!" refrain. So am I, come to think of it...




4 comments:

  1. I wonder if "Farmyard Cat" is Paddy's response to The Cure's "Love Cats" (the latter sounding as if they are more likely to be city-based)?


    By the by, I was thrown in the last quiz when I mistook the bloke at the front of the photo of The Lilac Time as Paddy McAloon. I realise it won't affect the outcome of said quiz, but it's been buggin' me since the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be Stephen 'Tin Tin' Duffy!

      Delete
  2. Lovely that you have a new addition to the family, of the feline variety. Also great lyrics there from Mr McAloon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, great lyrics there, and I'm glad to hear you have a new kitten. I've fallen in love with a neighbour's cat, we have a bit of a thing going on. I might have to write about it. It's like a secret affair.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...