Wednesday 20 December 2017

My Top Ten Albums of 2017 #3


50 years of Stephin Merritt's life chronicled through 50 revealing and hilarious songs. Best musical autobiography ever?

More here.

3. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir

(This one's about one of his hippy mother's many awful ex-boyfriends.)

When I write my memoirs
You will read them with pain and with shame
You'll be searching in vain for your name
For your bleak, insignificant name
When I write my memoirs
Which will be of course in verse
On the subject of you and how awful you are
I will be infinitely terse...


I hope I never run into
Another piece of shit like you
You killed my dog, you killed my mice
You made my house a den of vice


I laboured on your ice cream truck
Whenever I was not at school
You mostly used that ice cream truck
To sit there guzzling beer, you tool


But na na na na
Na na na
You're dead now
Na na na na
Na na na
So I sing
Na na na na
Na na na na
Life ain't all bad




4 comments:

  1. Still working my way through 69 Love Songs but this latest opus is certainly on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was s one I have hummed and hawed over for a while an came to the conclusion that it couldn’t be as good as 69 Love Songs so scored off my list. It looks as though it may have to reappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it's as good as 69 Love Songs... but it's the closest he's come since.

      Delete
  3. A very intriguing choice. This one has been on the shopping list for too long.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...