Monday 16 October 2017

My Top Ten Ingrid Bergman Songs


Yes, it's the series nobody really likes, but I do it anyway. Indulge me!

Having done Bogie, it seems only fair I give some thought to his Casablanca co-star. Was that cannon fire, or is it my heart pounding?


10. Duran Duran - Notorious

When I started in radio, this record had been out a couple of years and so the jocks (who still had free choice back then... for a short time) would dig it out and give it a spin quite often. Mostly so they could make the same gag: Mo-mo-monotonous...

Still, good memories.

Notorious is a great Hitchcock film, with Ingrid and Cary Grant.

9. Serge Lama & Carla Bruni - Casablanca

Most of it's in French, so I don't understand a word of it... except when they sing about Bogart et Ingrid Bergman...

8. Bee Gees - For Whom The Bell Tolls

Hard to imagine that Robin, Maurice and Barry were big Hemingway fans, but they did steal the title of one of his most famous novels... made into a 1943 movie starring Ingrid & Gary Cooper.

7. The Alan Parsons Project - Call Up

If Alan had a time machine, he'd use it to rescue a bunch of dead stars. Ingrid would be among them, in excellent company.

6. Siouxsie & The Banshees - Spellbound

More Hitchcock, this time with Gregory Peck. Siouxsie is a huge Hitchcock fan.

5. Sleeper - Lie Detector
She's a movie star arrangement
Got a touch of Bergman to her face
She wears suits and buys him flowers
Smokes his cigarettes and bakes him cakes
He says uh oh I love you
But I'm not sure I trust you
Weird thing is, I reckon Louise Wener had a touch of Bergman to her face too. 

4. Richard Thompson - Jerusalem On The Jukebox
In the bathroom mirror they try that Joan of Arc look again
Two parts Ingrid Bergman to one part Shirley MacLaine...
3. The Beautiful South - Good As Gold (Stupid As Mud)
I want my sun-drenched, windswept Ingrid Bergman kiss...
Don't we all?

2. Pulp - The Day After The Revolution

The closing track on the greatest album of the 90s, and the one that killed Britpop. I loved Britpop, but it needed killing.

Fair enough, the Bergman that Jarvis claims is over may well be Ingmar (no relation to Ingrid), but it's my blog and so I'll pretend he was singing about Ingrid just so I get to play this amazing track.

1. Billy Bragg - Ingrid Bergman

I know I featured this a few weeks back in My Top Ten Innuendo Songs, but it's worth giving it another spin without the phnarrs... because it's beautiful. Woody Guthrie lives, through the Bard of Barking.




Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.


6 comments:

  1. Keep 'em coming Rol
    Agree with your no1 but Wilco should also get a mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Wilco were involved in a lot of those sessions, but for some reason, I thought that was one of the tracks Billy did on his own.

      Delete
  2. I have a few of these films on DVD and what a joy they are to watch - In minutes you don't even notice that they're in grainy black and white as it's all about the quality of the story-line and the acting. Was blown away by the charisma that oozed out of Bogie and Bergman last time I watched Casablanca - They don't make 'em like that any more. Clever Top Ten - You are good at this aren't you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird form of mental relaxation. Kind of my version of yoga.

      Delete
  3. Seriously............only a genius mind could have pulled together that particular Top 10 and then provided such an entertaining and funny piece to accompany it.

    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a thin line between genius and insanity.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...