Monday 23 April 2018

Neverending Top Ten #3.1: MOR Monday


The DJ on the radio is talking about 1972.

"1972," says Sam, taking a break from his Blaze & The Monster Machines comic. "That's a long time ago."

"Daddy was born in 1972," I remind him.

"I was born in 2013," he reminds me. "You must have seen a lot more olden day things than me, daddy."

True enough, son. Here's an olden day thing you keep asking me to play again though, from the year before daddy was born...

3.1: Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

Written and originally recorded by Lancashire born Larry Stott (who had a hit with it in Europe and Australia), this was also released by Mac & Katie Kissoon (who took it into the US Top 40) and this Scottish folk-pop band led by Sally Carr... who took it to the top in the UK and sold over 10 million copies in the process. It's an irresistible pop song with a nursery rhyme call-and-response hook... and I loved it when I was 4 years old too.

Still do.

"If you don't like this, you don't like music..."




11 comments:

  1. I was born in 1960 Sam, now that really was the olden days! By comparison, 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep' doesn't feel so very old at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the scariest part about growing old. The younger students I teach these days weren't even born in the 20th century! I'm glad for my adult classes: they at least still get my jokes.

      Delete
    2. This'll make you feel younger - Sally is now 73!

      Delete
  2. Am now starting to ponder what Sally Carr could cover for an FCV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, she did look good in a pair of hotpants. This takes me back to my last year of Primary School when we used to skip round the playground singing Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep. Their follow up Soley Soley wasn't too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than skipping round the playground singing Milkshake!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. Naughty Kelis. Nice Sally.

      Delete
  4. You're pushing at an open door Rol; but I think you already knew that. Love it.
    http://johnmedd.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/to-remind-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the easiest posts to write, John. Glad to have you on side!

      Delete
  5. Lush did a pretty good job covering this one on the Alvin Lives in Leeds comp.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...